Cal Turner Jr., former CEO of Dollar General, was announced as the lifetime achievement winner of the Nashville Business Journal's Most Admired CEOs in 2013. Turner graduated from Vanderbilt University in 1962 and was CEO of Dollar General for 37 years. He shared some advice about what he learned from his successes and failures in business, so we decided to share them with you.
The 3 most important traits of a successful CEO:
1. Have a mission. A mission should always motivate and inspire you. You may never accomplish your mission, but it will keep pushing you to be great.
2. Value others and listen. Really listen to the opinions of others and ask questions. Show the people around you that they are heard and that you understand their perspective.
3. Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself. You can't take yourself too seriously - having a sense of humor about life and business is invaluable.
What's the best advice you can give Nashville CEOs?
- Hire people who are smarter than you.
- Cultivate a culture of mutual respect.
- Create a team with diverse talents.
- Focus on what your clients really want or need.
If you need help accomplishing any of these tactics in your business, give us a call. We'd be happy to help your company succeed. We'll leave you with a quote from Cal Turner Jr. himself: "A leader doesn't come up with the best answer. A leader helps others to ask a better question."