FLSA requirements when the office remains open in inclement weather
Posted on November 14, 2012
If the business remains open but employees cannot get to work because of the weather, consider the following:
- You will need to consider your attendance policies and practices in determining what flexibility to give employees as it relates to attendance.
- You may encourage employees to car pool or assist them in establishing alternative methods of transportation to get to work.
- You do not need to pay nonexempt employees if they perform no work.
- For exempt employees, if the business remains open but an employee cannot get to work because of the weather, you can deduct an exempt employee’s salary for a full day’s absence taken for personal reasons without jeopardizing the employee’s exempt status.
- You cannot, however, deduct an exempt employee’s salary for less than a full-day’s absence without jeopardizing the employee’s exempt status.
- For more information, contact us.